Architecture & Engineering

More than 1000 labourers and scores of engineers, architects and sculptors,worked for prestigious project


The work on locating professional artisans and sculptors having good knowledge of making both copper and bronze statues began. In this connection, the Tourism Secretary and Chief Engineer, Buildings, visited Kathmandu, Nepal from 14th to 17th December, 1997 and saw a number of statues including the 18-feet statue of Guru Padmasambhava installed inside a Sherpa monastery at Bodhnath. The team also met a number of well-known and skilled artisans and sculptors and discussed various aspects of their profession relating to making statues and images. Meanwhile, work on providing budgetary support, monitoring manpower and materials and completion of official formalities were simultaneously progressing in full swing in consultation with the Dodrupchen Chorten Trust. After nearly three years of hard work put in by more than 1000 labourers and scores of engineers, architects and sculptors, the seemingly impossible project of construction and installation of the massive statue of Guru Padmasambhava was finally over without any major hurdles. In a grand religious ceremony held at Samdrupste on November 28, 2003, His Eminence Kyabje Dodrupchen Rinpoche, who’s Chorten Trust, executed the project, officially handed over the completed statue to the Chief Minister, Dr. Pawan Chamling, who took it over on behalf of the Government of Sikkim.


After nearly three years of hard work put in by more than 1000 labourers and scores of engineers, architects and sculptors, the seemingly impossible project of construction and installation of the massive statue of Guru Padmasambhava was finally over without any major hurdles. In a grand religious ceremony held at Samdrupste on November 28, 2003, His Eminence Kyabje Dodrupchen Rinpoche, who’s Chorten Trust, executed the project, officially handed over the completed statue to the Chief Minister, Dr. Pawan Chamling, who took it over on behalf of the Government of Sikkim.